Commissioned by the 2nd Earl of Aberdeen and designed by the celebrated architect William Adam, Haddo House was completed in 1735. Variously modified, extended and destroyed (most notably by a fire in 1930 which devastated the south wing) since its construction, the beautiful mansion as we see it today still has Adam’s original Palladian structure at its core. It is set in astonishing terraced gardens, replete with ornamental flowerbeds and sculpted banks, with superb views out onto the Country Park and surrounding parts of the Estate. The House is home to a fine art collection, including works by Pompeo Batoni, T.E. Lawrence and James Giles. The interiors reflect the long and changing history of the House and its occupants, though the strongest influence that remains to this day dates back to 1880 and the beginning of the extensive refurbishment work carried out by the 1st Marquess and his wife, Lady Ishbel. They are also responsible for the building of the Chapel, which was completed in 1881 and still conducts weekly Sunday evensongs throughout the summer months, and frequent services at other times of the year.
The House was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland in 1978, and since then its contents and gardens have been open to the public. Click here for more information on visiting Haddo House, or visit the NTS website for the property.