The Hall, a striking black structure lying between the stable block and the south wing of Haddo House, was originally built by the 7th Earl of Aberdeen as an indoor tennis court. In fact, the court markings are still visible to this day! It is festooned with memorabilia dating back to the time spent in Canada by Johnny and Ishbel, for example snow-shoes, sledges and photographs. It soon took on a new, and considerably more useful, function when it became a community hall, hosting dances and shows for local residents.
It was granted a new lease of life when the 4th Marquess, David, and his wife Lady June, made it the base of the Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society in 1945, which has organised operas, choral events, concerts and plays for decades. Well-known performers going over the years have included Princes Charles and Edward, Lesley Garrett and Janet Baker. There are still many events every year organised by the Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society and the Haddo Youth Theatre, as well as performances from touring companies.